I have been studying Wireless Sensor Networks(WSN) since my Summer project (May- July 2012). I was working on TinyOS 1.x on windows xp.Since I am doing my final year project as a continuation of summer project.Now to do that I have to install TinyOS on ubuntu 11.10.Here are the steps to follows:
Now you can try these steps to install tinyos and get started with wireless sensor networking. Here, I have tried installing tinyos-2.1.1, you can choose accordingly:
1. To edit the sources list, open the terminal and type:
$ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
add this line at the end of the file opened
deb http://tinyos.stanford.edu/tinyos/dists/ubuntu natty main
“natty” is the type of ubuntu distribution.
2. Run a couple of commands to update and install tinyos
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install tinyos-2.1.1
3. Then we need to change the environmental variables. For this we open the .bashrc file
$ gedit ~/.bashrc
and paste the following lines to the bashrc file.
#Sourcing the tinyos environment variable setup script
4. We then change the owner for the tinyos installed on the system.
sudo chown yourname:yourname -R /opt/tinyos-2.1.1/
5. Finally, to check if the installation was done , run the command
This should give the details of the components installed.
Voila we have done it 🙂 if any problems you can post a comment below.
Tagged: TinyOS, Ubuntu, Wireless Sensor Networks